Saturday 5 January 2013

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Updated Review:
The Notebook is the story of a very deeply-in-love couple. It starts in a promising way. I think its good for almost all the first few chapters, although it still lacked the depth it must have. The story of a romantic couple required a better description of feelings and emotions but there is just the ordinary conversation. I think the whole novel should have a tone close to that in the prologue. The last chapter just drags on and on without anything to tell. It always makes people sad to read about old people's account of life. so the last part actually make you cry but that doesn't make the story any better.

So in a nutshell, I do not consider it a waste of time;it was pretty good but not a great one. 

Still I have some favorite quotes:
"I am a common man with common thoughts, and I’ve led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough."
"And it had changed him forever. Perfect love did that to a person, and this had been perfect."
"My dearest Allie,
The porch is silent except for the sounds that float from the shadows, and for once I am at a loss for words. It is a strange experience for me, for when I think of you and the life we have shared, there is much to remember. A lifetime of memories. But to put it into words? I do not know if I am able. I am not a poet, and yet a poem is needed to fully express the way I feel about you.in times of grief and sorrow I will hold you and rock you, and take your grief and make it my own. When you cry, I cry, and when you hurt, I hurt. And together we will try to hold back the floods of tears and despair and make it through the potholed streets of life."
 

2 comments:

  1. I love how in the Notebook, Nicholas Sparks is so descriptive in his writing. As I was reading through his book I often times, by little words, found deeper meanings that were placed there for the reader, if you are really searches. I am a major fan of his writing!! <3 Keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mentioned a few excerpts that shows the very same thing you are talking about. I love them. Nicholas Sparks has a great gift when it comes to the genre of romance. Its just that I was expecting a better story. it was too predictable. It just did not live up to the hype.
    Secondly I think that the writing style is not consistent. There are some very beautiful thoughts but there are also a lot of boring conversation with it.
    and thanks for sharing your views!

    ReplyDelete