Sunday 24 March 2013

My Introduction to the The Great Literary Genius

Since my very first ventures into the realm of Urdu literature, I have somehow nurtured an anxiety about Ashfaq Ahmed's writing. I have always been told that at the end of the story, I would feel lost, not getting what exactly he wanted to say. A few days ago, I read an excerpt from Zavia that did not seem to be that beyond my scope of comprehension. So I thought I should finally give it a try.

This book "Aik Zakhm Aur Sahi" is a collection of small anecdotes. Every one of them has a complete philosophy behind it. Mostly, (I think) that he has tried to demonstrate how the very same things and events look when seen from different perspective, by different people or at different times and situations."Irony of Life" could be a fitting title for this piece of work. 
3/5 stars! 

Here is an excerpt:


اجالوں کا کرب
                                  
وہ بہت غریب تھا لیکن ایک دن اس کی قسمت کا ستارہ چمکا اور اسے لاٹری مل گئی۔ دو لاکھ روپیہ ہاتھ آیا تو اس نے اپنے اور گھر کے افراد سے متعلق سوچنا شروع کیا۔ ہزاروں خواہشوں نے سر اٹھایا اور پھر ان ڈھیر ساری خواشوں کےدرمیان اس نے محسوس کیا کہ وہ تو اب پہلے سے بھی زیادہ غریب ہو گیا ہے!!۔

So why 3 stars? I like it, no doubt. Not many people can master the art of putting so much between the lines. But I think the anecdotes were mostly depressing, mostly highlighting the wrongs, the double-standards and the deceitful nature of people and the misery they have to endure. They were half page stories, so there was no character development and therefore no justification for their behavior. I believe that our world has its share of both the right and the wrong and so when talking about life in general, there should be a sense of proportion. Bringing only one side of the story to the foreground is unwarranted.

And frankly, there were a few which I don't think I quite understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment