Friday 30 January 2015

Never Let Me Go

“Sometimes I get so immersed in my own company, if I unexpectedly run into someone I know, it's a bit of a shock and takes me a while to adjust.”  
Never Let Me Go

This is partly how I felt while reading "Never Let Me Go." The contemplative narrative with such unsettlingly mundane representation of the fictitious situation leaves you disoriented, like when you have a dream full of non-sense, disconnected, yet reality-like events.

There is one thing I enjoy most about first person narrative: seeing the world through his or her eyes. It gives a feeling of actually living in that fictitious world, not just visiting it. We get to know the world the same way as the protagonist did. In this regard especially, Ishiguro has produced a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment